Thursday, August 1, 2024

 

Thursday, August 1, 2024

     I visit with a former roommate from the early 1970’s. I haven’t seen him for 50 years. He looks the same, and says I do too, maybe not the same, but we are recognizable.  Except we are both very old now. He is a veteran and we were all traumatized by the Vietnam war. I talk until I lose my voice and then I listen. Memories and stories of the past and the present. We have had such unexpected full lives.

     I watch the first episode of SYMPATHIZERS on MAX, about the Vietnam war.  A good chance to cry and remember those times when I was a young woman. The tall man recommended the series and he is right, a good pick.

     I use to avoid long conversations on the phone. I became restless and irritable.  But now these conversations are a lifeline to the world outside of my home.

      The Booker prize nominations are listed in the New York Times. Thirteen books of fiction and I have only read one of them. I can feel the sneaky desire to get these books now, I don’t want to miss out on something good. I am resisting. I still have a dozen unread library books at my house and more on my hold list.

No comments: