Saturday, June 29, 2024

 

Saturday, June 29, 2024

     The first cheap Apple watch instruction book is a dud.  Lots of words and no illustrations.  I now order a better one with illustrations, arriving Sunday.  I check the library, why don’t they have apple watch books.

     In 1966, after returning to Monterey with three young children and no husband or job, I go to lunch with an old school friend. We are both 26 years old. She has just been fired from the Welfare office. She tells me it is a terrible place to work. When I get home, I apply for a job at the Welfare office. I am hired.  It takes 5 years to realize that it is an awful job, not the workers or clients, rather the way our government treats women and children who are poor in our community.

      No, I didn’t do the chores of the day.  I didn’t water the garden, I didn’t pick up the mail, I didn’t do the dishes., I didn’t take out the garbage.

     I am reading SPLINTERS, a memoir by Leslie Jamison, most of the day. A sad look at raising a child and divorce.  Need to find a happier book.

No comments: