Thursday, June 13, 2024

 

Thursday, June 13, 2024

     One of my favorite activities is to lie on the living room couch wrapped in my down comforter listening to KPFA classical music station.  Eyes closed, letting the music sounds live in my body. Here in Monterey summers are cold.

     I learned about classical music at U. C. Berkeley in 1960 summer session.  I took a class for non music majors, to study Beethoven’s nine symphonies in eight weeks. I listened to the music on my record player.   Over and over again.  The final test was to identity music the teacher played. I couldn’t do it.  My mind didn’t have the neurons to understand and differentiate the classical music pieces. But this started a life long attention and love of classical music. I barely passed the class but it taught me something I now treasure.

     The tall man comes by after work to pick up the fallen garbage bins.  He gets a bag of licorice as a reward. He is too tired to talk much.  He is weary and goes home.

     I started reading DEMON COPPERFIELD, a novel by Barbara Kingsolver. My family has recommended it.  It is an easy read and a strong story.

No comments: