Thursday, May 23, 2024

 

Thursday, May 23, 2024

     I took a class at the U.C. Berkeley in 1960 about the philosophical ideas that underlie our political lives. I just didn’t understand what the professor was talking about. He proposed that there were different ways to live. We were living as if our way of life was the only real one. I barely passed the class. And then the next semester I attended that class a second time to learn what he was talking about. Now I am reading Kieran Setiya’s book LIFE IS HARD and I am reminded of that professor.

     I argue with myself, is this tiredness really about being 83 years old, or having chemo or maybe being depressed.  Am I making it up. There is no answer to this question. Maybe it is the weeks of Trump trials.

     I have vivid dreams during the night of being back at work in an office.  A supreme court justice visits us and I can’t remember my question. Hard to shake the dream’s hold on me as I wake up.

     In the evening, I start a new book in the detective series by Anne Hillerman, LOST BIRDS. I love this series about the native Americans in the south west.

No comments: