Friday, May 3, 2019


Friday, May 3, 2019

After the bell rang to end meditation, I noticed a 3 ft tall narrow black vase on the fireplace mantel, crowded with large sun flowers and some white flowers.  I kept looking at them.
  I am trying to report accurately my experiences. This is harder than I expected.

I am just beginning to read Carolyn Forche’s new book WHAT YOU HAVE HEARD IS TRUE.  A memoir of witness and resistance.  I have been on the library’s waiting list for awhile and now it has arrived along with some easier books.  This is going to be a painful book looking at war, torture, American involvement in El Salvador.  It is well written but still I have to push myself to continue to read.

After my nap I sit on the front porch, eating half a pint of ice cream, Cherry Garcia. Unseen little kids are playing, their voices filling the air.  A distant garden tool is buzzing away, birds chirping.  A single woodpecker flies across the street to the wooden telephone pole. The children’s voices continue rising and falling in the neighborhood.  No dog barking now.

No comments: