Saturday, April 13, 2024

 

Saturday, April 13, 2024

     My 80 years old friend comes by in his classic yellow truck. We have been friends for 50 years.  He is checking to see if I am still alive.  I am. We talk families, books, fears, medical stories, and what brings us happiness.  He is also, still alive. It is hard to learn of friends’ deaths with so few obituary outlets in town.

    The wind is gusting in the afternoon, trying to shake off the dangling moss on the old oak trees. It is not quite cold.  I walk through the wind to pick up two days of mail.  I am glad to be back in the house.

     I have started reading my weekly New Yorkers again.  I stopped during the chemo treatment but now I am better. A stack of New Yorkers are waiting for me.

     Also started reading THE TREE DOCTOR, a novel by a favorite author Marie Mutsuki Mockett.  I love her two books about her Japanese mother and her midwestern farmer father.

No comments: