Friday, July 20, 2007

peeling the onion

So I finished reading Gunter Grass's memoir of growing up in Nazi Germany. I had read his novels and was intriqued with looking at his experience in war torn Germany. He presented his material through the lenses of his present day eyes. He's clear that he doesn't remember lots of things and that some stories he has told so many times that he no longer knows what is true. He is honest about his teen age shallowness and angst. I was quite moved by his book. I know that history is told by the winners and yet the loosers also have something to say. I am most impressed that he survived and found a way to have a life. Thank you Gunter Grass.

1 comment:

Cultural Pittsfield said...

Dear Mom,

Your writing is beautiful, honest, evocative, real. Thank you!