Sunday, July 22, 2007

Earthbound farms

For days I have been fretting over Saturday's lunch and harvest walk, a benefit for our Zen Center. Every year I do this and it doesn't help nor can I stop it. Fret, fret, worry worry.

In fact Saturday was perfect, friends, strangers, good food, conversation, sun, cool breeze, mountains, fields. When I stop and take a breath, here I am in this beautiful valley with everything conspiring to show me how silly it is to worry. I hope I remember next year.

I finished DISCO FOR THE DEPARTED by Colin Cotterill, a mystery story set in Laos in the 70's. Good enough writing so I kept at it and in the end felt satisfied with how the story moved. I recommend it to people who are in the midst of needing mystery stories to survive.

1 comment:

Nicole Raisin Stern said...

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the book recommendation. Have you read Catfish and Mandala by Andrew X. Pham? I liked that one--it's about Andrew's adventures cycling solo through Vietnam as a Viet kieu (expatriat Vietnamese) with flashback scenes from his life as a child in Vietnam.