Monday, September 7, 2026
Happy Labor Day this bright sunny morning. I am grateful to all those workers who keep my life going, plumbers, farmers, electricians, house cleaners, grocers. Fire fighters. So many people who are essential to my life. Thank you, Amazon workers, and Instacart workers who make my independent living possible. Thank you, Uber drivers.
I too am working class. I lived paycheck to paycheck raising my three children as a single mother. I was excited when our union went on strike and we finally got medical insurance for our families. I tell my kids that we are working class intellectuals, since I went to college and have piles of used books in the house. I rented out rooms to college students to pay the mortgage.
I read about AI. A lot of hype and bluster. AI is a toy for the upper classes. It is the plumber and the fireman who saves the day. AI is full of hot air and words. Yes, it is fun to ask AI questions on my screens. The real work is done by the workers who get their hands dirty. Long live the working class.
I watch the new show on Netflix, FAMOUS LAST WORDS with Gloria Steinem. A warm conversation before she died. She is 6 years older than me and a hero to me and all my women friends as we tried to find our lives, to break through the limiting roles for women. It is definitely time for a working class woman to be president of these beautiful United States.
No comments:
Post a Comment