Friday, January 25, 2008

For days cars were coming and going across the street. Finally the 95 year old woman died and the street was empty. This afternoon I went to the mortuary for a viewing of the body and to pay my respects. And I do respect her, she was a neighbor for 35 years and had been suffering for a few of the last years.

She was lying in the gallery, surrounded by huge spays of flowers. Hawaiian music was playing. The family was sitting off in a special room.

I was early and few people were here. She looked great, better then she had looked in a long time. Her daughter kept saying what a good job they did. I have to agree.

I thought she might open her eyes and remind me that I hadn't raked my driveway yet and I had too many weeds and who was living at my house.

It seems strange that she will be buried tomorrow in the cemetery and I won't see her again.

No comments: