Friday, August 24, 2007

singing

In the middle of afternoon rush hour traffic, I was driving to Target to buy children's supplies. Stop and start traffic, windows down. I'm listening to Leonard Cohen's "I'm Your Man", singing along with the CD. I happen to look over to my right and see two young men sitting high in a truck looking at me and laughing good naturedly. It is so startling to remember that I am not invisible when I am in my car. I turn down the music and stop singing. I wish I could have smiled and kept on singing. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was in Taiwan in the 80s - I found that my Chinese co-workers sang lustily and openly in public with no shame, with no regard or consideration of talent. Made me wonder what kind of process we westerners had been put through to make us feel so weird about something as natural as singing. I know what you mean - feeling shame at someone seeing us singing. I recently did my first singing in front of a crowd. 3 songs. A life-chainging - or at least life-growing experience!

doug T