Wednesday, July 4, 2007

twenty dog parade



Fourth of July parade, I leave the house early to reserve a curb for my family to watch the parade. I have the exact spot picked out near the end of the street in the shade, one of the least desirable places along the route. I sit for an hour reading a mystery story as the street fills up slowly with families. Finally they all come. We huddle under blankets trying to stay warm.

We count the number of dogs in the parade, this is a twenty dog parade, much lower then last year. Near the end one of the dogs spooks a horse causing some excitement. I have come to every parade for the last many years, sometimes by myself, but now with my son's family. It's late afternoon and the fog is rolling back in and the fireworks won't be so visible tonight.

No comments: