Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Does the land remember me?



I've just finished reading Aziz Shihab's memoir of Palestine. Aziz is the father of Naomi Shihab Nye, one of my favorite writers. this is a wonderful book. Ordinarily I am uncomfortable reading books by parents and children as if I have a special loyalty to the first author I have read, whether it's the parent or the child. It's good to break through this barrier although I left the book on my table for several weeks and avoided opening it.

When I did start I could tell immediately that it was not only well written but interesting. I don't know what the solution is to the Middle East but I do sense that the more we learn the more likely we will be able to contribute to a peaceful settlement. Thank you Aziz Shihab for giving us this book.

No comments: