Monday, June 18, 2007

I'm afraid of dogs

Several times a month I meet with my friend Dina and write together. Here is one of my writings from our last time together.

Yesterday at the café, warm sunny morning, a couple sat outside by the front door, two big dogs on long leaches stood in front of the open door. Standing away from the front door, I said to the older man, I’m afraid of Dogs. He wanted to argue with me while his dogs continued to block my way, demanding some price from me, a pat on the head, a treat, a kick, something. His owner smiling. I said again, I’m afraid of dogs, could you move them so I can enter the café. He called his dogs to his chair and I walked in and the dogs moved back to his place blocking the door.
I am afraid of dogs and dogs seem to know this and push me, their owners think it’s cute that a grown up can be so silly, stupid. They say, Don’t you know this is a friendly dog, he wouldn’t hurt a flea. I want to say, did it have a lobotomy? But I stick to my pat phrase, I am afraid of dogs.. I’m not saying anything is wrong with dogs or dog lovers, I’m admitting my own defeat, my fear of dogs.
I personally believe it is reasonable to have this opinion, I have been chased and bitten by dogs, I’ve seen people mauled by dogs. I am wary of lots of things but it is only dog owners who feel they have a right to laugh at me. Oh this is getting painful to write about. I don’t like being mocked. I would like to like dogs.
I owned a family dog once who bit people, sweet loving dog and then he would lunge at a neighborhood kid, unpredictable and dangerous, sweet and loving, all together. Maybe I will get a t-shirt with the slogan I’m afraid of dogs so I no longer have to say it, I can just point and grunt. Maybe.

2 comments:

Nicole Raisin Stern said...

I'm laughing, Kathy--not at you, but at the humor of it all. You are truly amazing, then, that you allowed me and yuki & jesse to stay with you for 6-1/2 months!! My dad was afraid of dogs, too. I like the photo of you working at your table with the cat you were cat sitting for a friend even though, you said, you didn;t like cats too much (or that one).

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy,
When I read your post, I was happy. Yes, there are others who afraid of dog like me. I experienced many cases about dogs like yours. I am really angry with dog owners. They don't show any emphaty and ignore your fear. I am from Turkey, in my country there are not so much people have pet like the US. You can see dogs in the street but even it was not scary for me. People unleashed their dog wherever they want even if it is forbidden at there. They just say he/she is don't hurt you. They even do not state their apology.